Home Truck News Police won’t lay charges in Manitoba bus-truck crash that killed 17 seniors...

Police won’t lay charges in Manitoba bus-truck crash that killed 17 seniors – Truck News

Police will not be laying charges in a bus crash that killed 17 seniors in western Manitoba. RCMP say they do not expect to be able to talk to the bus driver, who suffered a traumatic brain injury.

And they say officers have found no explanation as to why he pulled into an intersection when it wasn’t safe.

The bus, carrying seniors to a casino, collided with a semi-trailer while crossing the Trans-Canada Highway near the town of Carberry last June.

RCMP police cruiser
(Photo: iStock)

Mounties have said the truck, which was travelling east on the highway, had the right of way and attempted to avoid the crash.

Police handed over their findings in January to the Crown’s office, including forensic reports and interviews with witnesses and survivors.

“One witness on the bus said that the bus driver was on his cellphone prior to the collision,” Crown attorney Chris Vanderhooft told a news conference on June 26.

Phone not in use

“RCMP investigators obtained search warrants for the phone and determined the phone was not in use at the time of the collision.”

He said it’s likely that a blind spot prevented the bus driver from seeing the truck. The bus didn’t brake or speed up to avoid the crash.

The Crown considered dangerous driving charges. But Vanderhooft said prosecutors wouldn’t be able to prove a moment of inattention was a marked departure from the standard of care of a reasonable driver in the circumstances.

“Momentary inattention does not constitute dangerous driving,” he said.

The bus driver isn’t able to care for himself, Vanderhooft added. “He is not in a position to make his own decision regarding his personal care or finances, and his condition is unlikely to improve.”

A memorial for those who died was unveiled earlier this month in Dauphin, where most of the victims were from.


Credit: Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

P.E.I. to make MELT mandatory from Aug. 5 – Truck News

Prince Edward Island will introduce mandatory entry-level training (MELT) for new Class...

Test drive: CNG-fueled X15N powers Peterbilt 579 – Truck News

It’s a pretty drive through the Deception Pass Bridge area in northwest...

Bexley set to host celebration for uniformed services with 32-tonne military vehicle – News Shopper

Bexley set to host celebration for uniformed services with 32-tonne military vehicle  News Shopper Credit: Source link

Ontario’s speed limit increase to 110 km/h on selected highways comes into effect – Truck News

Starting July 12, the Ontario government has implemented a new speed limit...

TTC introduces fifth scholarship award for 2024 – Truck News

The Toronto Transportation Club (TTC) has announced the addition of a new...