Unattended candles may have led to Tuesday Aberdeen house fire

0
2

Unattended candles are believed to have been the cause of a fire that destroyed a residence in the 1800 block of Young Street in Aberdeen on Tuesday night, according to a statement from the Aberdeen Fire Department.

The call came in at 11:30 p.m., and the first arriving fire units observed fire venting from the second story windows. The home was occupied by a single adult male who was able to exit the building before firefighters arrived. He was evaluated on scene for minor burns that were sustained during his escape, but did not require transport to the hospital.

The home had no working smoke detectors, fire officials said.

Firefighters conducted an interior fire attack that initially brought the fire under control in about 20 minutes. According to the fire department statement, the home was filled to capacity with personal belongings and has a metal roof overlaying cedar shingles which made hot spots difficult to dig out and extinguish. The structure is valued at $60,000 and is considered a total loss.

A total of 15 Aberdeen firefighters and two Hoquiam firefighters operated on the scene, as well as Aberdeen Fire Chief Tom Hubbard and Assistant Chief Rich Malizia. Firefighters responded in one command unit, three engines, two medic units and one ladder truck.

An Aberdeen firefighter had a medical event on scene and was transported to Grays Harbor Community Hospital in Aberdeen; the firefighter has since been released, according to the statement.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but preliminary information points to the homeowner falling asleep with candles burning in the residence, according to the department’s statement.


Credit: Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here